Our goal in writing this guide is to provide information that is required for Surface, Flood and Swiftwater Rescue; from the Awareness Level all the way through the Technician Level. FEMA and NFPA relevant publications have been considered, and we have included current information that addresses both NFPA 1006 and NFPA 1670. We hope by putting all of this information in one place to:
- Provide Awareness, Operations and Technician level information for Surface, Flood and Swiftwater Rescue, as they are all interdependent
- Make it easier for Agencies to support their in-house training programs and do regular updates
- Provide a resource for swiftwater, flood and surface water rescue courses
- Provide templates for IAPs, yearly technician level updates, FEMA typing requirements, and other helpful resources
- This Field Guide was compiled with the wisdom of over 250 years of experience from Swiftwater, Flood and Surface Water Technicians that are also involved in the Fire Service, Law Enforcement, Rescue Institution, as Flight Medics, Search and Rescue Leaders, and the Military.
The information in this field guide must be accompanied by appropriate training! As we all know, competence and good judgment takes training, experience and practice! This Field Guide is meant to be a resource that goes along with training and practice so that more knowledge is gained. The only true way to learn about the water is to spend time in it! We encourage you to use your training time IN the water, and use this field guide as a resource during and after that water time.